The Hidden Mushroom
After checking out a few recipes this weekend. My wife had the winning vote. This mushroom/onion burger was a hidden gem on flavor with a solid yet sloppy finish. You'll see by the double patty and melted cheese center that it was already going to be delicious, but add into the meat, Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions, layered on the bottom bun was a spread of Mayo/Tomato Paste/Sauteed Onions & Lettuce and you've got a Hidden Mushroom burger!
- 1lb Organic Chopped Meat
- 8oz Shiitake Mushrooms, stemmed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbs of reduced-fat Mayo
- 2 tps tomato paste
- 1 tbs olive oil + 1 tps olive oil
- 4 - 3" potato rolls, split in half
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 dill pickles, thinly sliced
- Preheat grill to medium
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil over Medium heat then Add Mushrooms; season with Pepper and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and tender (about 5 minutes).
- Then Add 2 tablespoons of Water and cook until the water has evaporated, turning the mushrooms once.
- Transfer the Mushrooms to a cutting board to cool, then finely chop and set in bowl with the Chopped Meat.
- Add 2 teaspoons olive oil to skillet and add the Onion and season with Pepper. Cook over Medium heat until tender and golden (about 3 minutes).
- Add Half of the cooked onion to the Mushrooms and Chopped Meat, season with Salt and mix well. Form meat into a ball then cut into 8 portions, forming 3- to 4- inch patties. Set aside ready to grill.
- Transfer the remaining half of the Onion to a small bowl. Add Mayo and Tomato Paste and stir. Spread the sauce on both faces of the rolls. Also placing half of the shredded lettuce on the bottom faces of the rolls only.
- Grill patties for 2 minutes on one side. When turning over, place the Shredded Cheese onto 4 patties and cover with Foil until the cheese melts (cooking/melting time about 1 minute).
- Remove from grill, placing the cheese covered burger on the bottom, then stacking the second burger on top.
- Place sliced pickles and remaining lettuce on top and serve!